After looking for a new home, you finally found one that fits within your budget. It has all the amenities your family could need, and it’s situated in a very friendly neighborhood. It also has a lush green garden, perfect for your plants! However, this new home is located in an area far from where you’re living right now. It’ll take you hours to get to this location – and this is the reason why you’re so worried about the move. For one, there are so many things to think about like what you should bring, how can all of your furniture get in the new house safely and how can you make sure that you won’t forget anything valuable.
Sure, moving long distance can be very stressful but there are many ways on how you can make it fun and enjoyable. To drive the point home, consider these tips for your move:
1. Organize your belongings when you pack: Putting all of your items in one box just because “you feel like it” is never a good idea. You’ll end up spending hours looking for items which you need when you arrive in the new location. For your convenience, you should organize your belongings when you pack. You can start by putting all of the items you’ll be needing when you arrive in the new location in a separate box and mark this as Day 1. This box can include your pots and pans, utensils, clothes and other belongings. You can also opt to pack items based on where they should be placed (e.g., for the kitchen, bathroom, etc.) This will speed up the move and will guide you how to pack.
2. Pack your belongings for a long haul: Since you’ll be moving for hours (and even days if there are any delays along the way), you should make sure that all of your items are packed for the move. This means that everything is stored in a well cushioned box. These should be packed to the top and nothing is loose to avoid any damages in your items. You don’t want your items to be scratched or broken during the move, right? You’ll also need high-quality boxes instead of re-using old boxes.
3. It’s okay to purge: You might be one of those people who keep several items which are either unused or broken. Because of its sentimental value, you can never throw them away – but since you’re moving, it’s time to let go. Sort out the things which you no longer need and get rid of them. You can either donate them to charity or give them off to family and friends. If you have enough items, organize a garage sale. The money you’ll be earning from the sale can be used for all of your moving expenses!
4. Don’t try to do it on your own: If you’re someone who is very keen on details, it’s very tempting to do everything on your own. You might think that this is the best way to get things done during the move but you’re wrong. Nowadays, there are professional movers who can help you. Places like Truckplease.com can be create solutions to long distance moving.
5. Stay calm throughout the move: Regardless of how prepared you are for the move, always expect that there’ll be surprises along the way. You might want to arrange everything the moment you arrive but because of jetlag, you might be too tired to do it. Your patience is critical during the move so make sure you have enough of it. When things don’t go according to plan, be calm and carry on with the move. Don’t let small bumps get the best of you.
Moving to another location can be very stressful especially if you don’t have any idea of what to do. The same is also true when you’re moving for the first time. But you don’t have to fret because there are simple tricks for your move to be successful. Take note of the tips in this article, and for sure, your move will be done in no time!